About Me

My photo
I have been digiscoping for around 18 years now and through persistence and good equipment I am getting great results. I use a Swarovski 80hd spotting scope and a Sony RX100 camera which has just replaced my old faithful Nikon P5100. The majority of my bird watching takes place in County Durham in England which has a variety of different habitats from coast to moors. Digiscoping is great because it allows me to get good photos without disturbing birds. VIEW THE LATEST PHOTOBOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

Saturday, 4 December 2010

Bittern and Iceland Gull

Rainton Meadows and Jacksons Landing, Hartlepool



Went to Rainton Meadows today to specifically see the Bittern, had I bitten off more than I could chew in the bitter cold? No way. I found it straight away although somewhat hidden in the reeds. Managed some distant shots befor it skulked further back and out of sight. Also saw an Iceland Gull here (identified by someone else) so digiscoped that.
Now Rainton meadows hide is a freezer box in the summer - today it was unbelievable, and shows what life used to be like as cavemen without windows or doors. I though enough money was put into Rainton Meadows to get a decent hide. Then on down to Jacksons Landing to see the Red Necked Grebe, this showed nicely but was difficult to digiscope as it was pretty mobile then had the light against me. A good day with 2 firsts for me.
I also saw another flock of 20 waxwings on my way home on Salters Lane North in Darlington. Couldn't stop though!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs
Barn Owl in North Yorkshire