About Me

My photo
I have been digiscoping for around 18 years now and through persistence and good equipment I am getting great results. I use a Swarovski 80hd spotting scope and a Sony RX100 camera which has just replaced my old faithful Nikon P5100. The majority of my bird watching takes place in County Durham in England which has a variety of different habitats from coast to moors. Digiscoping is great because it allows me to get good photos without disturbing birds. VIEW THE LATEST PHOTOBOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

Sunday, 10 October 2010

South Gare and Hartlepool Headland migrants

Autumn Migration Fall
I had the best bird watching day ever today, wow. An easterly breeze and misty night brought in loads of migrants (same yesterday). I went to South Gare early and saw a Barn Owl hunting.
Then up towards the pier I saw Great Grey Shrike, then towards the end of the pier there was one sat on a fence while another hunted a small bird in the air - it never caught it. 3 Great Grey Shrikes! One was seen to eat a Goldcrest another ate a Rock Pipit.
There were hundreds of Robins, Goldcrest and Redwing. A Barred Warbler was in the bomb hole, as were 2 male Blackcaps, a Yellow Browed Warbler and Willow Warbler. A Brambling posed on a fence - a Goldcrest even tried to land on my binoculars.




On the way out of South Gare there was a superb Hen Harrier hunting behind the pools, a Red Backed Shrike near the lagoon and a Ring Ouzel on top of a bush near the steel works. - superb.

Then on to Hartlepool Headland. Woodchat Shrike posed beautifully in the Croft Gardens - Goldcrest were everywhere this Shrike was also picking of the goldcrest. Another yellow browed warbler, then I saw a Dusky Warbler near the Jewish Cemetry - thanks to other birders for pointing it out - I wouldnt have been able to identify it.


Also around the locality were Shore Lark at Seaton Carew, Red flanked Bluetail - Saltburn didnt see these though.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Colin,

    Have just come across your blog and the pictures are great.

    I saw the Shrike yesterday. Not seen any comment about the ring. I note that it's a BTO/British Museum ring. Has anyone tried to piece together the number? Some of Ian F's photo's show a bit and one of yours shows 40. I presume that the number of WC Shrikes ringed is limited and that BTO have the ability to search on the basis of a small part of the sequence.

    ReplyDelete

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs
Barn Owl in North Yorkshire