About Me

My photo
I have been digiscoping for around 18 years now and through persistence and good equipment I am getting great results. I use a Swarovski 80hd spotting scope and a Sony RX100 camera which has just replaced my old faithful Nikon P5100. The majority of my bird watching takes place in County Durham in England which has a variety of different habitats from coast to moors. Digiscoping is great because it allows me to get good photos without disturbing birds. VIEW THE LATEST PHOTOBOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

Saturday, 21 August 2010

Green Woodpecker - Low Barns

Had an early morning looking for a kingfisher at Low Barns with only a brief glimpse in 2 hours of waiting, I decided to stretch my legs and have a look around the reserve. A few minutes later I heard a green woodpecker call close by. I stood still for a couple of minutes and it flew up from the grass to a fence post.
I managed to get a shot -then it flew back to the grass - long grass obscured where it was, so I walked carefully for another 8 yards or so and could just see its head - it then flew and and landed on a telegraph pole and posed. I was rooted to the spot - it was very slightly hidden by a bush in the foreground but managed to get some nice shots of it.


This for me was better than getting the kingfisher - Green woodpeckers are so difficult to get close shots. Also on the reserve, Water Rail briefly, Dipper, Common Sandpiper, what I thought was a Sparrowhawk may have turned out to be a Hobby after reading reports from yesterday - just got a very quick view as it flew low over the lake. Also Jay, Nuthatch, tree creeper, long tailed tit, Marsh Tit, Coal Tit.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Colin, what time where these shots taken???

    ReplyDelete
  2. These were taken about 8:45 on Saturday morning - sorry for late response but I have just seen this comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. its okay thanks. What you said was a Hobby could have been I photographed it today.

    ReplyDelete

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs
Barn Owl in North Yorkshire