About Me

My photo
I have been digiscoping for around 18 years now and through persistence and good equipment I am getting great results. I use a Swarovski 80hd spotting scope and a Sony RX100 camera which has just replaced my old faithful Nikon P5100. The majority of my bird watching takes place in County Durham in England which has a variety of different habitats from coast to moors. Digiscoping is great because it allows me to get good photos without disturbing birds. VIEW THE LATEST PHOTOBOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

Monday, 4 January 2010

South Gare - January 2nd 2009

Went to South Gare this morning to specifically look for the Black Redstart that had been showing, the forecast was bad with more snow forecast for the afternoon so I had to find it pretty quick. Having tried a couple of days ago I couldn`t find it - it was blowing a hooly though.



Straight away another bird watcher put me onto the bird and initially it was quite distant but very mobile. It became apparent that it was doing circuits every 5 minutes or so which enabled me to get into a decent position without scaring it. I took about 40 shots and only about 5 of them are useable due to low light and a very twitchy bird - but there were a couple of good shots.



There was also a flock of about a 100 snow buntings on the beach, but fairly distant and dog walkers kept putting them up. Somebody said there had been a Peregrine on the mast at the base of the pier earlier, but I missed it. Then it started to snow - and boy did it snow, I decided to get home quick.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs
Barn Owl in North Yorkshire