About Me

My photo
I have been digiscoping for around 18 years now and through persistence and good equipment I am getting great results. I use a Swarovski 80hd spotting scope and a Sony RX100 camera which has just replaced my old faithful Nikon P5100. The majority of my bird watching takes place in County Durham in England which has a variety of different habitats from coast to moors. Digiscoping is great because it allows me to get good photos without disturbing birds. VIEW THE LATEST PHOTOBOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

Thursday, 17 December 2009

Teesdale / Weardale Dec 12th

Decided to go up the dales for a change and went straight to the area where the Black Grouse show most frequent. I found the males straight away 11 of them sat on a wall 120 yards away. I tried some distant scope shots but only moderate results. I got farmers permission to walk so far down his drive and got to within 80 yards or so and got half decent shots. Then I had a drive round the back roads and noticed a lot of pheasants, and want I assumed initially to female pheasants on the verge of the road as I drove past they flew up, and I noticed the female black grouse - very close. They flew onto a wall in full sunlight and I managed to get my scope out and got some great shots from about 15 yards - brilliant!



I then drove over the moor to Weardale and had a look at Tunstall Res where a Black Throated Diver had been present for a week or so. I managed to find it and Hillary (photographer) was also photographing it. However it would not come very close. I walked around the lake to the other side but it was very wary even through the woodland it noticed me. Light was also bad on this side so only moderate shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs
Barn Owl in North Yorkshire