About Me

My photo
I have been digiscoping for around 18 years now and through persistence and good equipment I am getting great results. I use a Swarovski 80hd spotting scope and a Sony RX100 camera which has just replaced my old faithful Nikon P5100. The majority of my bird watching takes place in County Durham in England which has a variety of different habitats from coast to moors. Digiscoping is great because it allows me to get good photos without disturbing birds. VIEW THE LATEST PHOTOBOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

Thursday, 17 December 2009

Seaton Ponds Dec 5th

Had a ride up to Seaton Ponds area to try and find the Short Eared Owls that had been much reported. Had trouble finding Seaton Pond to start with as my sat nav and map took me down a track which looked like it would get to the area but was gated off at a farm. But eventually found it and was straight on to the owls, which were sheltering from the wind in the hedgebacks to north of the road. Too far to digiscope! However after a while I spotted another sat on the hedge near a farm, I went to the farm road and luckily it was a public footpath which enable me to get closer, managed to scope 4 photos from 60 yards away, before the farm dogs scared the owl and me off.
Happy, I went down to Hartlepool to sea if Great Northern Diver was there, however no luck as yachts were in the harbour. A quick look down to Saltholme was less fruitful as a Bittern had been reported, went to check it out and after 2 hours I gave up as a storm was building. - Got this nice Kestrel though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs
Barn Owl in North Yorkshire