About Me

My photo
I have been digiscoping for around 18 years now and through persistence and good equipment I am getting great results. I use a Swarovski 80hd spotting scope and a Sony RX100 camera which has just replaced my old faithful Nikon P5100. The majority of my bird watching takes place in County Durham in England which has a variety of different habitats from coast to moors. Digiscoping is great because it allows me to get good photos without disturbing birds. VIEW THE LATEST PHOTOBOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

Saturday, 5 December 2009

Clara Vale - Sat 28th Nov

I went early to Clara Vale hoping that I would be first in this small hide, and arrived just after dawn. Too late already 2 in there which means its almost full. Managed to squeeze in and set my scope up and waited for a Kingfisher to show - and waited and waited.
Bits were starting to turn blue, when a kingfisher finally showed after a couple of hours, but was at far end of lake 180 yards away - I put the scope on full zoom and took a couple of pics ok but not brilliant, the guys with there Canon 400 lenses didn`t have a hope of getting a shot.


Eventually the Kingfisher worked its way up the pool and eventually landed on the closest perch about 8 yards away and was immediately chased by another kingfisher which turned up out of the blue then dissappeared. But the Kingfisher did retun and we all got some great shots - except the guy who killed his batteries.


A bullfinch landed in some long reeds about 40 yards away which also made a great pic.


Had a quick look down to far pastures and saw 6 snipe and a buzzard being mobbed by crows over Thornley Woods
Fairly quite at Thornley Woods although there were a couple of redpoll in the tops of the trees and a fly through sparrowhawk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs
Barn Owl in North Yorkshire