About Me

My photo
I have been digiscoping for around 18 years now and through persistence and good equipment I am getting great results. I use a Swarovski 80hd spotting scope and a Sony RX100 camera which has just replaced my old faithful Nikon P5100. The majority of my bird watching takes place in County Durham in England which has a variety of different habitats from coast to moors. Digiscoping is great because it allows me to get good photos without disturbing birds. VIEW THE LATEST PHOTOBOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

Sunday, 6 September 2009

Teesdale Buzzards



Spent the morning just stalking and finally digiscoping a buzzard at close range. I have been trying this for ages, without success, as the birds always see me first. I new where a pair had nested but left them undisturbed until the young had fledged. They were hanging around and in the wood when I went to visit them. I could hear the birds calling deeper into the wood, a birds was no more than 20 yards away in the wood but I couldnt see it, just the call. I stayed still then the bird took off and flew within 6 feet of me, didnt have chance to take a photo. I stayed where I was for about an hour. Finally I heard another (same) bird calling from a stationary position, I crept across the wood and was searching the branches again I couldnt see it! Then I noticed a buzzard in the field just outside the wood. I focussed the scope on it, dropped the camera down and got half a dozen shots before it casually rose up and drifted over a rabbit warren close by.

Getting this photo was very satisfying, and my walk back I saw a Green Woodpecker, it was here all last year, so that is my next target, although Green Woodpeckers are so tough to get.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my lord, these pictures are amazing!
    I myself am an aspiring photographer, but at my age, it's so hard to find good models, as well as pay for a nice camera, you know?
    Anyways, much kudos to this, I would probably do something that made noise, scaring the birds away (^.^')

    ReplyDelete

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs
Barn Owl in North Yorkshire